Friday, February 1, 2013

Time for A Nap?

During the long days of being at home in the winter months when the garden is simply to be looked at followed by wishful sighs you would think that any toddler would welcome an afternoon nap after a snack and a morning that has seen the stairs turn into Mount Everest for the big adventure and her fellow climbers the dollies and teddies stranded at the summit without provisions, Her electric quad bike abandoned due to being stuck in the snow duvet.
Yes a nap would be about due-However as I learn every day now the norm is the unusual and you would think by this time I would be ready for it, well you would be wrong as I act with surprise on every occasion as my mind wonders back to what my own kids would have done and you simply cannot help but compare.
So the wee one now wants to be read every book in her bookcase while multi tasking with the TV because curious George is on currently her no 1 show and if I am honest I find myself watching it and laughing with her at it.
Now being the Granddad I was looking forward to the wee one taking a nap so I could get on with er ok having a nap. One thing that I have found out as you get older the stairs become like a mountain as you head up them for the lost count of times in a day and chasing the toddler leaves the legs feeling they have completed the London Marathon.
I have now learned that when this particular toddler decides to have some quiet time without having a nap it is more than wise to join her as this will be the days only chance to get ready for the evening onslaught before bath and bedtime.
AS we head for the weekend thoughts turn to what can we do to make life exciting and entertaining for the wee one and how much will it cost? Perhaps the lesson from the Stairs should be taken more seriously and we should realise that our small people have huge imaginations that don't need expensive days out just a willingness to get involved in their world for a wee while.
So with that the wee one and I are off on an upstairs downstairs safari hope your weekend brings as much adventure and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment