Monday, April 1, 2013

The Interview

This is a slightly different blog from the normal found here on a Granddads View, as granddad said on Friday. I am going to stick with his tradition of not using names so for today I am The Student. I am doing my first year as a trainee journalist so I am at the bottom end of the inky trade. I am doing this interview because part of my course work at the moment is looking at blogs and how they effect everyday news stories, I also happen to know granddad, and he is kindly helping me out. So I hope you enjoy this as it is only a small part of the process I was undertaking, but we both thought it was a bit of fun and information you might enjoy reading about the man that is granddad!
Where did you do your growing up, what school did you go to and were they happy days?
Wow there is an opener, well firstly I started off my life in Thornhill in Dumfries-shire and moved to Corpach near Fort William when I was four, I went to Banavie primary school and then Lochaber High school and yes they were happy care free days for the most time with a very settled family life that involved our extended family.
So granddad you write about life and its experiences, but what I would like to know is what you did before being a stay at home granddad?
Well I started off my working life as a student nurse but that career was not for me as blood and I are not best mates! I quickly realised that with that problem I needed to make fresh choices and was lucky enough to get a job on the railway as a trainee train driver. I did this for about nine years and at the same sort of time I started out in politics. Eventually I was so heavily involved in the world of politics that I had to give up my job as a train driver just to meet the demands of public service. I had a brilliant time in politics and also stood for Parliament, where we came the closest we had in thirty odd years to winning the seat. After politics I re-joined the planet and worked for a large supermarket for many years, before plying my trade in adult care and then care of the elderly, where I finished as office manager to look after the wee one.
You have had a number of jobs, what do you think that says about you, if anything?
It is sometimes hard to write an application for employment, especially when you try and write down your job history as some of those jobs mentioned had several posts within the category, what does it say? You could say I like a challenge or you could turn that on its head and say he will be gone soon- I like to think of it as I have lived a varied life!!
You write the blog A Grandads View From Home, what was the inspiration and what do you hope to achieve?
People have been keeping diaries for years and I see this as a fun way to do just that. The wee one is always the inspiration and sometimes I have a wee rant. What do I hope to achieve? I think I am keeping a diary for the future and if one person smiles or a topic gets one person to have a think then that would be job done!!
You never seem to use names, for example the wee one is used or the one I like the ASBO gardener aka papa, why do you not just say who they are?
I don't use there names as a deliberate ploy to allow those reading it to put there own names to the characters involved. You know a wee one or a papa in your own life that you can imagine how you would react if it was them involved.
In your Blog you refer to your wife as the law enforcer aka the prosecution! How long have you been Married and does she really rule the household?
I have been married for twenty one years this year and oh yes she is most definitely in charge!!!
Having asked granddad one or two serious questions I decided it was time to look into his tastes in life and this is the result of that below!!!
Granddad if you had to watch a film everyday for the rest of time, what would it be?
I hate watching repeats and once I have seen a film that would be that-However if forced to watch a film over and over - Ferries Bueller's Day Off would be the one!!
What music type makes up your collection?
I would use the term collection very loosely for my cd's but to answer the question, I have a little of everything including the Sex Pistols- oh god now my age comes out!!
What would be your last meal if you were given the chance to choose?
That's easy the law enforcer makes the best stewed sausages ever! Hope my mum misses that answer as it could cause a wee bit of trouble for me!!
What would you like to change in your life if you could be granted one wish?
My first reaction like most would be to have no financial worries ever again, but on reflection if I could stop smoking with the wave of a magic wand that would be superb.
What is your dream car?
I love the big jeeps that are not cheap to run or kind to the planet!
If you could invent one item what would it be?
A big jeep that was cheap to run and was kind to the planet, no seriously I think like all people it would be a pill that beat cancer!!
Finally granddad if you were in charge of the country what is the one thing you would change?
Heavens only one thing!! I suppose it would have to be the welfare reforms as I feel they are hitting our poorest people, but I wish I could go back in time and axe the bankers that have put the world in such a mess.
So there you have it, an insight into granddad, I hope you find this interesting because I had an excellent day finding out a little bit about the man. THE STUDENT!!!!
AND FINALLY
The normal blog returns with granddad on Tuesday, no doubt with a tale or two from the Easter Weekend break and the wee ones adventures in Fort William, however I am waiting to find out if the ASBO gardener aka papa got up to any mischief!!



No comments:

Post a Comment