Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Wieght Watching And The Elephant

As we go through life we come up against many challenges, some are put there by authorities and organisations and others are self made, put in place by our own circumstances and habits. When these challenges that are of our own doing arrive it can take a lot of determination to take them on.
Now being a stay at home granddad I do about 90% of the household cooking and therefore I am responsible for ensuring the wee one has a healthy and balanced diet setting her up for her future years. This is a job I take extremely seriously reading all information that is relevant to all things food wise that may appear on the wee ones plate! So you can imagine my horror at the recent beef replacement stories!!!Thankfully neither the wee one nor I are huge fans of oven ready meals as we prefer to cook from scratch, however I have been known to eat the odd burger when having a BBQ.
So you would think If I am as careful with the wee ones diet that my own would be of a high standard, setting an example, showing her the benefits of all that I preach and generally being more careful as the clock moves forward adding years.
Sadly like the picture above, the answer to this is no, and in fact it has had to become my next self imposed challenge, the clock has not only added years but has somehow managed to add pounds as well--it must be the clock!!!!
Now when I say a few pounds..... The truth is I thought a baby elephant had crept up behind me and put its toe on the scale behind my back, to say I was shocked was an understatement, I even had the cheek to look behind me just in case the said elephant was in the room.
When my senses came to, and my analytical side kicked in, I realised that those sneaky biscuits I occasionally have with a cup of tea and that very occasional bit of cake, the odd bag of crisps and the very infrequent chocolate ,and a very rare beer, were all elephants in the room. Further if I was to tell the whole truth then when I use the words occasionally and the like I really mean daily!!!
Sadly they were all elephants of the mind but the one sitting writing this was real!!

So nothing left for it I have set myself a challenge over the next few months, a challenge that is going to be a tough one, but one I have to accept. I am aiming to see the baby elephant out of the room and to do this I must lose twenty Kilos.
So The fridge will be sorted out, the biscuit cupboard will be renamed and a leaf taken out of the cook book used for the wee ones meals.

There will be plenty of the above so I can reverse the clock  and as I take my lead from the wee one I hope I can set her an example of determination and goal setting.
AND FINALLY
My eighteen year old son, The wife and the ASBO gardener aka papa all still have a puppy high on their agendas and if I thought I had bought time by conceding I would think about it, then I was sadly mistaken- as they have all pointed out that if I got a puppy- that would help me lose the pounds as I chase it, clean up after it and walk it!! The wee one heard the word puppy and gave me that look.Unlike my determination to fight the pounds my resolve to this issue is becoming thread bare. Talk about hitting a guy when he is down lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment